Monday, January 10, 2011

A quilt in time




A day ago I finished this quilt but it has been 6 years in the making. My mother in law turned 60 6 years ago and me in my wisdom decided it would be a lovely thing for her to make her a birthday quilt. So I go all the people/families attending the party to bring a fabric square with their names on it and I would sew it into a quilt. But since that time life and children have got in the way and the squares lingered in the bottom of my cupboard until last October, when I found them in a clean up. Looking over the squares I was amazed at how things change even in 6 years, children are born, marriages break up, people pass away and people drift out of your life. All the same it is nice to have a reminder of that particular point in time. I gave her the quilt and she too had forgotten about it and was reminded of those memories.

4 comments:

  1. Good on you Sands - looks like you have made the most of the rainy weather. I love the Quilt and I think she will love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely - good on you for finishing it. I have one from my wedding still in pieces in a bag somewhere. You've inspired me to get it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so beautiful, Sandy! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey that's great Sandy - nothing like being stuck at home to get these jobs done!! I covered books today - boring!

    ReplyDelete