Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Brisbane Floods...

As many of you know Brisbane is experiencing some amazing but destructive floods. I am safe as my home is up on a ridge away from the Brisbane river. Today many people in low lying areas of the city have watched as their homes have gone under the flood waters. I just wanted to share with you some of my experiences of this time with you.Brisbane city - the river is just about to break it's banks

This is The Brisbane River in full flood it is about double this width.
We use to live here - turn left at the white house and this was our street - very glad we do not live here now

A major intersection just around the corner from a friends house
that friends back yard this morning - it is expected at the peak of the flood it will more than cover this clothesline
The front Steps
the back steps





The parking meter outside my friends house and the photo previously is 12 hours later. My friends managed to get most of their belongings out of their house before it went under.

Many lives have been devastated by these floods both here in Brisbane and in other parts of Queensland please think of these people and pray for them.

4 comments:

  1. It's truly frightening. I'm so glad that your house is ok. When I was in Queensland with my family in the early '80's we took a photo of a car stuck high up in a tree out in the middle of nowhere. I've often thought of that and wondered how on earth it got there - I guess that mystery is solved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing record to have all these photos. Imagine how different the floods would have been in 74 without the internet and digital cameras to keep people informed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy, I've been thinking about you and wondering how you and your family are doing with this flooding. I am so relieved that you and your home are safe.

    My heart and prayers go out to your friends and others whose lives have been uprooted and turned upside down. Thank you for the update, and I'll continue praying.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are praying for all of you.I can only imagine the turmoil in lives.

    ReplyDelete